ENA and IRA Recruitment campaign 2015
The École Nationale d’Administration (ENA) trains top level civil servants to work in the French and foreign civil service and prepares them for their future responsibilities at national, European and international level.
The five Regional Institutes of Administration (IRA) based in Bastia, Lille, Lyon, Metz and Nantes train administrative “attachés”, the administrators that form the backbone of the French civil service.
3 cycles of long-term training are open to foreign public agents and civil servants:
– the Long International Course (CIL) : lasting 16 months, open to junior civil servants or public agents. The CIL may be open to future civil servants after dispensation.
This course leading to ENA International Diploma in Public Administration can be completed with one of the three high-level professional Masters programs : a Master’s degree in general public administration, a Master’s degree in public Institution communication and a Master’s degree in Public Action in Europe organized by ENA in partnership with prestigious French universities: University Paris IV CELSA; University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, and the University of Strasbourg. NB : French nationality debars candidates from long international course.
– the International Advanced Training Course (CIP): lasting 8 months, open to senior civil servants.
This course leading to ENA International Diploma in Public Administration can be completed with a Master program in one of two special areas: “Administrations and international affairs” or “Administrations and public finance” organized in partnership with University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, and the University of Strasbourg.
– the IRA International Course (CiIRA): lasting 8 months, open to junior and senior civil servants.
IRA course also provides foreign civil servants with the opportunity to prepare, in addition to their IRA diploma, a master’s degree.
All applicants must hold a degree at “Master 1” level or, in exceptional cases, have completed an equivalent course. They must also have some professional background to share experience with French and foreign colleagues and hold a position of responsibility. They should speak and write fluent French, be fluent in English and must pass the school’s entrance examinations.
The selection process is the same for ENA and IRA courses.
• Application forms must be downloaded from the ENA website: and returned to the "Service de coopération et d’action culturelle" of the French Embassy by November, 30th 2014.
• Admissibility tests are organised in December 2014 by the Embassy departments.
• Entrance oral examinations are organised between March and May 2015.
• Final meeting of ENA’s and IRA’s selection boards, chaired by the
Directors, who validate the list of candidates to be offered a place: June 2015.
• The IRA International Course will begin in September 2015.
• Both ENA courses will begin in December 2015.
Find out more:
For more than 60 years, ENA has been welcoming foreign students from all continents. Over 3,400 foreign students from 128 different countries have already taken our courses.
Watch a film on the website www.ena.fr of foreign students giving feedback about their training at ENA
- Brochure International Cycles
- (PDF - 557.1 kb)
Contact at ENA Paris:
Ms Amélie Parenteau, head of the service of relations with foreign students, Tel.: + 33 (0)1 44 41 85 98 email@example.com
- APPLICATION FORM FOR ENA AND IRA INTERNATIONAL COURSES 2015
- (PDF - 414.5 kb)
The following programs are also open to foreign students :
- The European Master’s degree in governance and administration (MEGA), a French-German program. As from 2013, the MEGA will be a sandwich course, with 4 modules lasting 2 weeks each and a 9-week internship alternating with the student’s normal professional activity. The programme is spread over 24 months.
- The cycle of Post-graduate European Studies (Cycle des hautes études européennes - CHEE), intended for senior civil servants, elected officials and corporate managers.
- The Master’s degree on risk management (EISTI).